Apt autoupdates

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Sat May 3 15:33:54 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Suren Karapetyan wrote:
>> Hi there!
>> Yesterday I was playing with synaptic (so I installed apt, ...)
>> Today in the morning I received a message from fcron telling that apt
>> has successfully upgraded my PC to the latest rawhide (Before it I
>> kept old Xorg and Kernel to run Nvidia drivers: yum update
>> --exclude...).
>> IIRC yum-updatesd isn't configured to update without asking so my
>> question is:
>> Is it desired for apt "CHECK_ONLY=no" in default /etc/sysconfig/apt.
>
> Yeah. Auto updates without asking the user isn't consistent with the
> behaviour of the rest of the package management systems.
>
> Rahul

Should I file a bug?
Cause it's really annoying... It installs a new init script without any
notice, makes it run by default and makes it update your system...
without asking you.
For yum at least we have seperate package yum-updatesd so even if it
made autoupdates default the name makes you check for a new init script.
And it can really screw the system. Today I spent an hour and ~100M
traffic to bring the things back. Well traffic doesn't mean much for me
(it's cool to work for an ISP) but some people may have problems with it.