Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat May 3 16:20:15 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> And you'll just ignore the entire prior history of fedora?
>
> You mean the prior history of _Java_!

If you mean the reason it - and much of the other currently open source
software exists at all, you shouldn't ignore that either.  As much as I
like open source and freely available code, I recognize that much would
never have existed if it were not for original proprietary work - and
that we are all better off as a result of everyone's participation with
the proprietary version.

> Fedora merely shipped the only available option which was Free Software. Blame
> Sun Microsystems for not having made their implementation Free Software right
> from the start.

I blame fedora for not maintaining a relationship with japackage.org
until their users no longer need what they provide.  In fact, I don't
see any reason any java code needs to be specialized for a distribution
or included in its own repository.  Why not just make fedora work with
an external repo for java that works across distributions/versions and
avoid the issue entirely instead of shipping something that isn't quite
java?  Even when a real java can be included, what is the point of
having specialized distro/version packages of the apps that don't need
specialization?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com