Monodevelop and video card recommedations

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Mon May 5 14:46:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 08:54 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Double pronged email this...
>
> 1. Can anyone recommend an AGP card which will allow me to run 3D graphics
> without using non-GPL drivers? I want to move away from nVidia for the time
> being. Nothing against their cards, just that to use 3D, I need to use their
> drivers.

I asked this same question a while back (with the added requirements of
dual head and pcie) and was pointed to R300 cards. There is one rather
huge caveat to watch out for though: the R300 cards have a max texture
size of 2048 which means no compiz for screen resolutions > 2048. In a
dual head setup, it's a deal breaker. I don't know if this will ever be
addressed in compiz but it's quite limiting. (My laptop with intel
graphics has the same limitation.)

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |