FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Wes Hardaker wjhns174 at hardakers.net
Wed May 7 14:34:09 UTC 2008

>> And thus, if we want developers to use fedora we should distribute
>> multiple versions of the development tools when version updates have
>> potentially large ramifications.

RC> If you are serious about this, Fedora will have to ship alternatives for
RC> all development tools.

I think we're at an impasse.

RC> The alternative is to push upstreams to "release often, release
RC> early" and to keep the pace with tool development.

Unless the upstream dies (which is one of the reasons for needing to
start a forward port in the first place) or is simply slow (wayyy too
common).

I think someone else already made the point of all the packages we'd
have to remove if we wanted to stick to your policy of removing
everything old.  There is a line to walk and unfortunately each of those
1000+ packages could probably generate a long-winded discussion like
this one has become.