Re: JahShaka

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: JahShaka
From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram fedoraproject org>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list redhat com>
Cc: mike cchtml com
Date: 05/12/2008 08:21 AM

Casey Dahlin wrote:

Why would it have to be GStreamer? Wouldn't anything un-patent-encumbered do? (Not that this isn't un-patent-encumbered, but in the general case).

It doesn't have to be gstreamer. We have both gstreamer and xine (the free parts) in Fedora but gstreamer does make it easy to add support back for the other codecs that we don't include.

Rahul

That's the point I was trying to make.

Most people who would want to use a video editor for "realistic work" wouldn't find much value in an Ogg-only output format. They'd expect to be able to output in MPEG-2, MPEG-4, or h.264 to display on their televisions and/or share with customers or friends through the Internet. Sure, you could output into a non-patent encumbered format and then re-encode the video, but that's a two step process. Not very user friendly; plus if it is a lossy codec it's a degrading process.