Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon May 12 18:45:50 UTC 2008

2008/5/12 Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com>:
>  I actually went on a long rant about this at xdevconf:
>
>  http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Events/XDC2008/Notes
>
>  The essential problem is that we're a victim of our own success.
>  There's lots of great stuff happening in X and unfortunately the thing
>  to suffer there is the stabilisation effort.  I do the best I can but
>  I'm not a superhero.  Nor, really, should I have to be.  And come to
>  that, I'm actually quite bad at the release management job.  I don't
>  communicate effectively, I don't delegate enough, and I don't deliver on
>  the schedules I promise.  Mea maxima freakin' culpa.
>
>  If someone else steps up to the job, huzzah.  Until then we're sort of
>  stuck.
>
>  My question to the gallery is how do I fix this?  How do _we_ fix this?
>  X needs more people.  It's way less scary than you've been led to
>  believe.  How do we get more people involved?  How do we step up the
>  testing effort?  How do we get to a culture of frequent releases and
>  incremental improvement?  Without these things, release management is
>  going to continue to be bursts of heroic effort that almost certainly
>  misses deadlines, as it has been ever since Xorg 6.7.

I don't know, but if Fedora is serious about being THE conduit to
connect upstream project development and downstream consumers, then
these sort of questions are exactly the sort of thing the Board should
be chewing on.  Luckily enough, I've got a big mouth and I enjoy the
taste and mouth-feel of broken glass.

-jef