Dell Laptop

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue May 13 11:08:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008 13:12:12 -0400, Jon Stanley scripst:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Dell-Inspiron-1526-Notebook-PC
>> %27s_220198_Business_Supplies_1_10051_FEATURED:SC3:CG71:DP4118
>
> Not 100% the right place to talk about this, but looking there, I
> noticed that it had the "Dell Wireless" (read: Broadcom) wifi chipset.
> This will likely give you no end of trouble from what I've seen (note
> that I have no personal experience, just horror stories that I've
> heard).

Actually, to make this thread at least a little bit on topic (you know,
this is fedora-devel, not fedora list), I have to continue on my line
about superheros -- to my biggest satisfaction John Linville made my
BCM4318 working in the late F8 (or was it really early F9/Rawhide; I am
not sure). I am quite sure it needs a lot more stabilization and testing
(which makes it a topic here) but I think you can try to get it. Of
course, if you prefer your notebook to be more likely to just work (and I
had my fair chance of problems with iwl3945 as well), then Intel chips are
much more supported.

Matěj

--
The content of this message is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 License, Some Rights Reserved.