Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue May 13 15:40:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 11:21 -0400, Jason Corley wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > The approved JPackage naming exception says that when a technical
> > solution is found to make .jpp tagging obsolete for the purposes of
> > grouping excludes, the exception will vanish. I think we've done that,
> > insults and flames aside.
>
> The portion of that agreement that you are glossing over nicely was
> that the solution needed to be in rpm, not yum, apt, smart, up2date,
> or anywhere else.  Plain and simple a yum plugin has zero to do with
> the exception and conditions as understood on the JPackage side.
> Jason

Given that I wrote the exception, I can rather confidently say that it
doesn't say that.

It lists both rpm and yum's inability to do the grouping ops, but
nowhere does it require that we solve it with rpm. We can solve this,
rather trivially, with yum.

~spot, who isn't sure why he's arguing with you, as he know no good will
come from it.