Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue May 13 18:53:36 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>
>> 5) The attitude that our users can find a package in JPackage if it's
>> not in Fedora is detrimental to us.  Where ever possible, we don't
>> want user's to have to *find* packages, we want them to be able to yum
>> install the package out of the box.
>
>  From a user's perspective, the best way to not have to 'find' jpackage
> packages - or worry about conflicts - would be for the yum configuration
>  for the jpackage repo to be installed out of the box in fedora and have
> no duplication at all.

As indicated earlier, that wouldn't really work either. It would bring
in all the problems in separating Fedora Core and Fedora Extras with the
additional legal liability of linking to a third party repository. All
programs including Openoffice.org which has some Java dependencies would
have to moved out of the primary repository into a third party one. Not
going to fly.

Rahul