Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue May 13 20:38:51 UTC 2008

Jason Corley wrote:
>> Nicolas, I believe you're wrong. I can't find a single revision by devrim that syncs from the JPackage spec[1]_ to the Fedora spec.
>
> Yes if you focus only on the current maintainer's history of
> collaboration with JPackage you won't find any.  However the following
> shows what used to happen:

I don't dispute that.  But I am saying that a new maintainer took over
the package.  So there was no history of sharing changes with JPackage
there.  Continuity doesn't follow the package because there is no policy
or guideline that says that java packages have a special relationship
with JPackage.  the maintainer was just following the best practices
that they had established by working on other packages in Fedora.

Fedora is a community of packagers.  Those packagers have different
styles of packaging and working.  Where we need to, we unite those
styles with Packaging Guidelines and FESCo Policies.  Until we have a
policy that specifies that certain classes of packages must use JPackage
as upstream this kind of thing will happen as packages go through
different maintainers.

-Toshio