Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 14 20:38:53 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> How about changing the names of the packages (and perhaps the location
>> of the files) that you must include for dependencies?  I'd much rather
>> waste space with duplicates that don't conflict than have potentially
>> conflicting same-named packages/files.
>
> That's a ugly hack and won't on all cases.

Once you start relying on yum/rpm, there's nothing much uglier than
conflicting packages.

> Some paths are just
> standardized and changing them would break a lot of things including
> non-packaged applications.

If things are standardized to the point that they can't be changed, then
I don't see how keeping those jpackage/fedora versions identical can be
such a big problem.

> You have to figure out specific issues and
> talk to the Fedora Java team.

I'd hope there could be a general solution.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com