I have a big mouth...

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sat May 17 01:40:53 UTC 2008

Suren Karapetyan <surenkarapetyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html
> > First comment in the comment section.  Since i love flashing my board
> > creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
> > of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.
> > -jef

I for one can't see any comments...

> GREAT!!!
>
> > But what really upsets me, is the apparent reality that derived
> > distributions based on Debian take Debian completely and utterly for
> > granted. That has to stop.
>
> Liked this part the most.
> Giving back is one of the main principles which drive FOSS.
> A distro which is based on another one SHOULD give the work it does
> back to the one it is based on.
> A distro which uses a FOSS program SHOULD give back the patches it
> creates to upstream.
> If a distro manages to translate KDE it SHOULD commit the translations
> upstream.
>
> Very close relationships with upstream is one of the main things which
> makes me use Fedora (well at thirst it was bleeding edge software, but
> it's just a result of following upstream closely).
> And that's the main problem I have with FreeBSD. I don't like the
> concept of a "base" packages, which have been forked years ago.
> And also I don't like the idea of writing "our own grep", "our own
> find", "our own date", ...
> That's the way I thought when I was 12. I did't like using "other's"
> software: I wanted to have "my own".
> That's the way Microsoft did with OOXML. They did't want to use
> "other's" standards, they wanted to have their own "standard".
> And even more... They didn't want to use "other's" standard for
> storing dates, they wanted to have their own "standard".
>
> PS: The last part seems to be off-topic :)

If you look at the *BSD philosophy, for them GPLed stuff just isn't free
enough. So, just like some sofware isn't free enough for Fedora's
standards, they see themselves in the need to forego some stuff or write
their own replacements.

[Please, don't start a BSD vs GPL or some such flamewar over this]