Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Tue May 20 22:47:13 UTC 2008

Alan wrote:
>> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Christopher Stone
>> <chris.stone at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Okay, this is good news.  I'll post on the nVidia forums to make sure
>>> they know.  I still think it's a bit uncalled for to say nVidia should
>>> get their act together when the ABI was only declared stable last
>>> week.
>> Dude that thread is super long...and I was quoting an nvidia dev from
>> the thread.
>> Trust me... they know.  Post #42 is a really good read concerning the
>> recent history of the ABI. There is absolutely nothing new here.
>
> There seems to be some internal debate within nvidia about when the new
> version(s) get released.  They know the abi is stable, but there seems to
> be someone within nvidia who is waiting for the official 1.5 release.

It's about people covering their collective asses. All the nvidia guys have
is the release managers assurance that no further ABI changes will happen.
This is not a 100% guarantee though and so they take the safest route
possible and wait until 1.5 is released. That way they can be *absolutely*
sure that their driver will work and nobody at nvidia has to take even the
slightest risk.

It's stubborn bureaucratic policy at work.

Regards,
   Dennis