F8 -> F9 but keeping KDE3: technically feasible?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed May 21 08:19:42 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> You can use the nvidia drivers with F9 if you run the F8 xorg packages; quite
>> a few people have been doing this with success throughout the F9 development.
>
> But if he's using F8 KDE and F8 X.Org X11, there's not much left of F9, is
> there? I mean, what's the goal? Being able to say he's "running F9"?

That is what I was thinking after realizing the Xorg issue.
What's left? gcc4.3, firefox3, the new Java...
Is it worth the effort? I'm skeptical too. :-)

> IMHO it is a really bad idea to try to upgrade only parts of the distro, we
> have done ABSOLUTELY ZERO testing of the KDE 3 packages from F8 with F9,
> whoever attempts that may run into dependency problems and other issues.

The dependency problems are not too scary, because they will come up
in yum during the update phase (even if I see many libssl and libcrypto
issues).

The worst part would be submarine dependencies between (patched?) KDE3
and other parts (will removable disk mounting work in KDE3 in F9?
stuff like that).

    Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it