Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 21 13:11:12 UTC 2008

Bill Crawford wrote:

>> I think you are missing the point.  Just because nVidia sucks, it
>> doesn't mean we have to make Fedora "suck".  This is linux, and it
>> should be possible to have a system which everyone can enjoy.  With
>> just a little bit of extra effort, a set of stable xorg rpms could
>> have been provided in a f9 testing repo for nVidia users to use
>> temporarily.  We can still make a distro which is friendly to nVidia
>> users without slowing down progress for everyone else.  I see this
>> mainly as a user friendliness issue more than an open source vs closed
>> source issue.  I hope Josh is correct and we will have some nVidia
>> drivers to test with soon.
>
> How is providing a new, shiny Xorg making Fedora "suck", please?

It's all about interfaces, which are what permit programs to work
together at all.  They are contracts among cooperating programmers that
when changed break everyone else's work and components. Changing an
interface generally sucks, but shipping a freshly changed interface
without publishing the new definition and giving cooperating entities
time to re-do their work to match sucks even more.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com