Packager Sponsors Responsibility Policy

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri May 23 13:28:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:26:38PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for some feedback on what we've got so far for the Packager
> Sponsors Responsibility Policy.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/SponsorResponsibilityPolicy

Overall looks good. There are some technicall bits missing to help
sponsors monitor the sponsored people.

> == Make sure the maintainers you sponsor follow guidelines ==
> Sponsors should try and keep up with the doings of their sponsored
> maintainers. Bugzilla has the ability to let you know via email all
> activity for a given address. Initial sponsored maintainers should have
> more scrutiny than long established maintainers with a known record of
> good efforts.

Here, it would be nice to have an example of how to achieve the
'Bugzilla has the ability to let you know via email all activity for a
given address.'

> == Fix issues caused by sponsored maintainers ==
> If one of your sponsored maintainers is unable to fix an issue in their
> package(s), it's up to the sponsor to step in and make the needed fixes.
> This might include pushing a security update when the maintainer is
> unavailable, applying a patch, removing a improperly build package, or
> other time or security sensitive issue. Note that the maintainer should
> be shown the fix and how to manage the issue moving forward.

There are many technical issues here. It would be nice if a sponsor
could be in initialCC/Watchcommit/commit for all the packages of a
sponsored person (and not by package), without needing a manual intervention
from the sponsored person, and such that the sponsored person cannot revoke
it. Also it should be easy to give up with those acls when the sponsor
thinks that the sponsored person is competent enough.

> == Revoking Sponsorship ==
> A sponsor may elect to revoke their sponsorship of a maintainer in rare
> and extreme situations. These situations might include: A maintainer
> that no longer wishes to contribute to Fedora, a maintainer that refuses
> to follow guidelines, or irreconcilable differences between the
> maintainer and the Sponsor. In this event it is the responsibility of
> the Sponsor to orphan the maintainers packages, and do any other needed
> cleanups.

I think that it should be stated that it always have to be explained to
FESCo.

--
Pat