Fedora Org Clarity Attempt

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 29 19:52:56 UTC 2008

2008/5/29 John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com>:
> I'm sure some out there will think I'm getting to "corporate", however I've
> often found that creating picture of things helps to simplify things in ways
> that thousands of words can't.

Yeah, I've tried to suggest a new meme via my Role based SIG proposal.
Which by the way is infinitely better than yours because I used
inkscape and generated
an SVG...with rainbow colors and gradients.

More seriously....
let me suggest that if we are going to think in terms of an
organizational chart as you have proposed...that we do it in a way
that stresses three key factors with regard to relationships among
Fedora subproject units.  For this discussion I'm still assuming that
SIGs will be using the role-based concept and thus have a more
complicated structure best illustrated with my super awesome rainbow
svg.  And as such they sit somewhat outside a standard organizational
chart because of their highly collaborative nature.

Factor 1:  Dispute Resolution
Who do you go to when a subproject can't reach agreement and needs arbitration?

Factor 2: Intra-Project Communication
Which group do you expect a subproject to receive important information from and
to send important information to, to insure communication to other sub-projects.

Factor 3: Oversight
Which other group sets and updates policy boundaries which a
subproject is explicitly constrained by.

In a corporate entity, all of this would be thought of as
accountability... who do you report to.. and the answer would usually
be the same entity for all 3 factors. I'm not sure that is the case
for Fedora, as a volunteer staffed organization.

-jef