Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 17:31:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> It might make sense -- it depends on what the context is that they're
> doing it in.  If I'm looking to play a certain type of game on my
> installed box, yeah, I can maybe see that making sense.
>
> But if instead I'm looking to install a system, I'm not as sure that it
> does.

Something like this:
http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/search-browse-mockup.html

> And I do think that you want to have the same sort of
> groupings/taggings/whatever for both cases... that or we switch to a "we
> always install a large base set of stuff and then you can go in and
> tweak to your heart's content".

Which is like livecd-based-install + gui-installer later, right?

>  But that suggestion tends to make server-type people come after me with pitchforks and fire ;-)

My perspective on server-type installs has always been the same:
kickstart a minimal and %post the rest in via: yum -y install pkg1 pkg2
pkg3. But it might just be the years of success deploying like in that way
which makes me think that ;)

-sv