Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 18:12:41 UTC 2008

> The thing I've always wanted is:
>
> Duplicate the installed packages on this other, existing machine
> with options as to whether you want the same package versions or the
> currnt versions.
>
> And done in a way where the existing machine publishes it's list so the
> person installing just picks the example instead of wading through the
> thousands of packages every time.

 yum-debug-dump (and the currently unfinished yum-debug-restore) is our
attempt at this, having that output group information al. la.
yum-groups-manager shouldn't be hard. But this isn't really the same
thing as groups, IMO.

> Bonus points for installing from the same repositories as the original
> packages...

 We need rpm to support storing that data first.

> This could replace the concept of 'spins' with a minimal install and a
> command that says 'make it like that one' that someone with some
> expertise has configured for a similar purpose.

 And, yeh, those kinds of tools for check-update/update/etc. are
something I'm interested in (see myum-list-updates for a very prototype
example solution). But again, I think that's a very different problem
than what groups are for atm.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora