preupgrade F9 -> rawhide?

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 17:40:09 UTC 2008

A quick update on this. I successfully upgraded one machine about a
week ago, so I tried another machine today and it had a problem
booting during the install.

After all the packages had been downloaded and the 'reboot' button was
pressed, grub was no longer able to come up. The word 'GRUB' was
displayed and nothing else.

I booted with the F9 Live USB and did the following (sorry it doesn't
help with diagnosis but it might help if anyone else has this problem)

mkdir /tmp/rootdir
mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /tmp/rootdir
mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/rootdir/boot
/tmp/rootdir/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/tmp/rootdir /dev/sda

If there are any logs that might help diagnose the problem, let me
know. I have one more desktop and one more laptop running F9 which I
plan to preupgrade in the same way, Please let me know if there is
anything I should note to help improve the process.

-Cam