Fedora 11 font package changes proposal (renames, splits, etc)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Nov 9 16:04:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 12:09 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> ▶ package splits, to offer more flexibility to spin groups and fedora
> users

Can I voice some doubt about the usefulness of this ? Going to your wiki
page, I read that dejavu has been split into ~10 subpackages. If this
happens to all font packages, it will blow up metadata and package lists
and make it harder for users to install a reasonable set of fonts. There
are real costs associated with overly fine-grained package splits. Have
you really weighted to pros and cons of this idea ? The use case you
cite

  Wanting serif from dejavu, mono from liberation, and sans from
  tiresias, without dragging in all the other dejavu/liberation/tiresias
  fonts is a valid setup.

Doesn't really strike me as worth supporting...

Matthias