Filtering -fstack-protector out of CFLAGS

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:21:12 UTC 2008

GCL will not run successfully if compiled with -fstack-protector.  It has
its own internal stack management code that interacts badly with
-fstack-protector.  So I decided to try filtering that option out of the
default CFLAGS.  I put this at the top of the GCL spec file:

%global __global_cflags %{echo %__global_cflags | %{__sed} 's/
-fstack-protector//'}

That seems to work, in that %configure passes RPM_OPT_FLAGS minus
-fstack-protector, but when I run rpmbuild, I see:

echoechoechoechoechoechoechoechoExecuting(%prep): ...

What's with the 8 "echo" strings, one right after the other?  Is that
something I should worry about?  Am I filtering CFLAGS the right way?  Do I
need to get explicit permission from some group to do this?  Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/