starting Fedora Server SIG

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 23:52:50 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) said:
> (Not to mention that attempting
> to get consistent motherboard or slot position out of BIOSes across
> all manufacturers is a boatload of fun.)

So, we *do* at this point have the /sys/bus/pci/slots directory,
which is maintained by the ACPI PCI slot driver. But, just to give
an example -

On my laptop:
$ ls /sys/bus/pci/slots/
1

This corresponds to the expresscard slot, IIRC.

On a random (recent, Core2Duo) mid-tower:

$ ls /sys/bus/pci/slots/
<nothing>

despite the fact that the box actually has three slots. So, not only
does this not help with identifying onboard cards/adapters, for *actual*
slots, you're still at the whim of the ACPI bios authors to put the
info there.

Bill