starting Fedora Server SIG

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Nov 14 07:21:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> It uses ANY memory. That's more than is reasonable considering that the
> former solution (ifconfig) uses none.

NM and ifconfig are not comparable.  Now I think saying that NM
shouldn't use very much in the way of resources in the static routing
case is a reasonable request; certainly with the push for
virtualization and running lots of OS instances it makes sense.  But
it's just not reasonable to say "ANY" memory; that's not a reasonable
constraint to operate under.  We're trying to build an operating
system; that necessitates adding APIs and features, for example
network status change notification which is useful everywhere.

It's perfectly fine though if someone's "create mediawiki appliance
image" tool strips out stuff; but we should be moving the core OS to
be more unified and featureful in general.