starting Fedora Server SIG

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:03:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Featureful is exciting for desktops and for a smaller subset of servers with
> special needs. For the vast majority of fairly boring servers it is not
> exciting, it's just time consuming.

+1

> I've got no problem saying that people who use servers should have a custom
> ks that strips out all the stuff they don't need. In fact, I believe I've
> ALWAYS said that. I just don't want us to take steps that make setting up
> that custom ks outrageously difficult.

It's already a bit of a black art to know what things to tweak to turn
Fedora into a server-style configuration without breaking things. And
it's growing -- in this thread I've learned about how to get the
text-mode plymouth plugin. I'm sure there's lots more.

Kickstarts and howtos in a wiki around this subject are sorely needed.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions