Broken dependencies in Fedora 9 - 2008-11-14

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 14 21:23:37 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:45:57 -0500, David Huff wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>> Broken packages in fedora-updates-testing-9-ppc64:
>>>
>>>     appliance-tools-002.6-1.fc9.noarch  requires  qemu-img
>> To address this I added "ExclusiveArch: %{ix86} x86_64 ppc alpha sparc
>> armv4l noarch", to the spec [1] which matches the qemu package.  I was
>> told that this would prevent the compose tools form adding the
>> appliance-tools rpm to the ppc64 tree.
>
> Why not "ExcludeArch: ppc64"?

Just to offer an outside perspective... IMO ExcludeArch makes sense when
a package is generically expected to work, but is known to have problems
on specific architectures (i.e. not working is the exception, not the
rule). For things like qemu (or valgrind, to give another example) that
are highly arch-specific, it makes more sense to list the arches that
are supported, even if that results in a longer list.

IOW, use whichever is more likely to DTRT when built on a totally novel
arch (e.g. arm, sparc, whatever) ;-).

--
Matthew
Person A: It's an ISO standard.