starting Fedora Server SIG

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 14 22:10:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> Also, there's this weird "running daemons are bad" mentality which I'm
> not really sure what the right way to approach is.  But it's one that
> I'm not sure how true it is in our current world of increasingly moving
> functionality out of the kernel and into userspace in which case you
> have to have something running in addition to the kernel.
>
> Maybe to try some examples -- irqbalance is a daemon and not in the
> kernel anymore[1], does that make it "not useful"?  Or for another side,
> various kernel threads are really just daemons... maybe we shouldn't run
> them either?

if you replace useful with necessary in his argument I think it ends up
making more sense.

If the daemon is not NECESSARY for the task it is fulfilling then why have
it running?

And I think you do understand quite well the rule that any thing that is
not necessary to the functioning of a server should be off.

-sv