starting Fedora Server SIG

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 22:39:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Dan Williams wrote:
>

> > Use /sbin/ip already :)  AFAIK virtual interfaces are completely
> > obsoleted by mutiple addresses per interface, which /sbin/ip (via
> > netlink) makes entirely available.
> >
> > Is there some reason the ethX:X configuration is desirable over just
> > adding multiple addresses to the interface?
> >

> Sure - b/c I could just drop an ifcfg-eth0:0 file in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and it just worked. :)
>
> I didn't say it was the only way to do it just that it worked well and afaict
> still works well.

I'd like to note that when you're in a configuration managed environment
like Fedora Infrastructure is (via puppet).  This is an easy and simple
thing to do.  If anything goes wrong, you either look to the logs to find
out why the file isn't there, or you look in the file to see why its
malformed.

Config files are quite nice in managed or large environments.

	-Mike