PackageMaintainers/Policy/EOL pages and FESCo responsibilities

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Nov 16 17:20:41 UTC 2008

Hello,

I think that the PackageMaintainers/Policy pages should be under FESCo
responsibility, such that
* they are updated when policies are updated
* new policies are added

FESCo should not necessarily take care of the actual writing, but at
least oblige packagers who proposed a new policy that was accepted to
update the Policy page, and similarly when a policy is changed.

I think that FESCo should also oblige Infra/Releng/documentation/BugZappers
(and other similar groups) to modify the Policy pages when they introduce
changes that modify policies. I don't know how exactly is FESCo aware of
what changes in other groups, but at least should try to act such that
packagers are aware of policies that are important for them. This could
simply be redirections to pages maintained by those other groups.

Examples of policies that may be (or not) missing are release notes,
bugzilla handling, features. And PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility
should certainly be a policy too.

Of course FESCo is somehow responsible for all that is in the wiki, but
for policies it is even more important since these are meant to be
mandatory things.

However, currently the Policies pages are in a very bad state, which is
pretty bad, in my opinion, for new packagers, especially those who don't
read through all that goes along in fedora-devel-list.

--
Pat