F11: OSS and pulseaudio conflict

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Mon Nov 17 20:50:01 UTC 2008

Dnia 2008-11-17, o godz. 18:53:53 Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> napisał(a):

> At least on my Audigy 2SZ (which uses the same emu10k1 driver), Doom3,
> Quake4 and ETQW works just fine (@surround 5.1) w/ the alsa driver.
It doesn't work at all on my ENS1371 (according to ALSA, it has 44099 Hz
output ;)) and produces the "metallic" sound on my on-board HDA Intel. There
are some non-working tricks using dmix (which I can't be bothered to learn to
use), but the only working and at the same time easy to configure (like one
click in the in-game GUI) solution is to use OSS emulation.

Quake 4, on the other hand, claims to use OpenAL and works properly.

Please don't kill snd_pcm_oss completely :)

Lam