F11 Proposal: Stabilization

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Nov 19 16:31:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 05:49 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > yum update really means yum update openoffice\* somestuff\*  \
> >       my_favorite_pkg\*
> I feel, you just discovered what apt/apt-get calls "package pinning"

No actually it's simpler than that. What we want is more like package
holds. More precisely, we want the *opposite* of package holds.

What we're talking about here is a mode where no packages are updated,
except for security fixes, and a list of packages I know I want the
latest and greatest of.

Which is pretty much that command line up there, plus security updates.
Except it's sticky. Really that's something that annoys the hell out of
me about yum, nothing sticks. If a repo is broken and needs to be
disabled, or if I want to 'hold' a package I know is broken, I have to
go mucking about in config files. And that results in my repo files no
longer being updated because they've been modified and RPM so helpfully
starts spewing .rpmnew files all over...

When are we going to get the ability to store arbitrary bits of
information about packages in the RPM database? We just need a simple
generic key=value system. So front ends can store stuff like what repo
the package came from, 'is-dep' flags, hold flags, dont-hold flags, and
so on, but RPM itself doesn't have to actually know or care what they
mean.