RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sun Nov 23 17:32:54 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> writes:
> With "postgresql" (albeit not limited to postgresql) the added difficulty
> is that the main package contains only parts of the suite. The server files
> are in another package.

Right, and the same is true of mysql.  These decisions were made before
I took over the packages, but I think the reasoning is that the client
programs are useful without the server (because you might be installing
them just to talk to a remote database server), but the server isn't
very useful without the clients (because they are essential management
tools for a server).  So the client programs form the "base" package
and the -server subpackage depends on that, not the other way around.

This means that there really isn't *any* single package on which it's
useful to hang a self-contained description like
>   Advanced Object-Relational database management system using SQL
The base package really has to say that it's just clients for the
DBMS, or it's misleading.  I suppose I could attach such a description
to the -server subpackage, but it looks a tad weird in context.

If I had a way to declare a "meta-package" in the specfile then I'd
attach the core description to it.

			regards, tom lane