My roadmap for a better Fedora

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Nov 24 21:19:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 04:33 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Let me point out that rollback itself would require testing.

Quite do-able. See my reply to Jeff.

> Let me point out that package rollbacks will never work in general,
> because updates may contain non-reversable state-full operations (e.g.
> reformatting databases).

So, only do such updates in distribution upgrades.

Something I'm regretting to note earlier, is that I do not expect the
per-package rollback mechanism to work across distribution releases.
It's intended for updates inside releases only.

IMHO I think discrete releases are one of our most powerful features. We
can make drastic changes across the distribution, in an atomic manner.
We want to preserve this feature. It allows us to make a clean break
with previous releases. It allows us to make irreversible changes.

Although no change to a filesystem is truly irreversible, as long as you
have enough storage space... :)

For rollback of distribution release updates, a lower level filesystem
rollback is much more suitable, via LVM snapshots or Btrfs...