New users confused about Spins' Names

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 26 16:46:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 17:23 +0530, Kulbir Saini wrote:
>>     Since the table has a description field for each spin, why not (at
>> least) expand the acronyms so folks have a clue as to whether or not it
>> might be useful? Even better, a link to a page describing the spin in
>> more detail. If it's worth the time and effort to create, it should be
>> worth the time it takes to write a paragraph describing it."
>
> In my opinion, if the user is driven to the torrent page in the raw,
> we've already lost.  Fedora is providing resources to compose and host
> the spins, but in my opinion it is up to the SIG behind each spin to
> take on the advertisement and driving of users to that particular spin.
> They best know the content, the audience, etc.. and are best suited to
> create page content and advertise it.

If I'm a user and I don't know where to go, the reality is, I go to
google.

type in 'fedora torrents' the first hit is torrent.fp.o - so that page
needs to be relatively clear to users.

Saying "We've already lost" doesn't help the reality at all, which is
google directs. Let's work w/i the reality.

-sv