Uniform Proxy Settings

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Oct 3 19:23:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 15:05 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
>> So it's generally a good thing. The catch is that not many apps are
>> using it yet. But the author is planning to propose it as a blessed
>> dependency for GNOME 2.26 (and have it be used in gvfs and libsoup), and
>> if that happens then that will pretty much guarantee that other distros
>> have to ship it too, at which point it becomes easier for more apps to
>> decide to depend on it, and eventually we might just reach uniform proxy
>> setting nirvana.
>
> Most apps doing HTTP end up doing so via a library (I'd hope).  So the
> next step would be getting support into libcurl and neon.  And possibly
> some thought into, eg, urllib in python but urllib really needs to die
> in favor of something nicer like urlgrabber on top of libcurl

Just a note, I'd like to see the desktop standardize around libsoup,
for two primary reasons:

1) Mainloop integration
2) Hopefully forthcoming support for reading Firefox cookies

There are some custom Python bindings in progress now if you swing
that way, and the introspection work in progress will bring access to
libsoup from a greater number of runtimes.