Uniform Proxy Settings

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Oct 3 20:59:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Why do "desktop people" keep proposing things that are _only_
>> acceptable in a monolithic desktop application?
>>
>>  Or do you seriously expect yum/anaconda/wget/whatever to use APIs that
>> work by directly hooking into the glib main loop?
>
> I didn't suggest that!  I was saying what direction I would like the
> *desktop* to take.  Whether libsoup is appropriate for system
> components is another discussion.

Though just for reference, I do think that an event loop is the right
way to structure many different kinds of programs, even those which do
not use GTK+.  It's unfortunate that most programming languages (and
consequently, libraries like urllib or java.net.URLConnection) are not
designed around the concept of a mainloop, but that's where we are.

But to do the Firefox cookies right, libsoup is going to require both
SQLite (to read the cookies file) and DBus (to get notifications from
Firefox of changes).  Now, these dependencies may not be suitable for
all applications or system components, and the basic built-in HTTP
functionality that comes with runtimes like urllib or
java.net.URLConnection are going to be more familar to programmers,
and if you don't need the extra functionality it will continue to make
sense to use those.