pulse-rt by default?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Oct 6 00:48:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, 05.10.08 20:29, Jon Masters (jonathan at jonmasters.org) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I suggest that we consider adding new desktop users on a fresh
> install to pulse-rt by default? Or, put another way, does anyone think
> this is a particularly bad idea to be doing?

It's a security issue.

If you add a user to pulse-rt he basically got the power to block the
CPU indefinitely and thus freeze the machine.

Unfortunately on Linux we don't have anything in place that would
allow "safe" usage of realtime features. There have been steps in the
right direction (like real-time group scheduling, RLIMIT_RTTIME), but
that is still a royal PITA to use or trivial to circumvent.

Lennart