trash-cli : Looking for a reviewer

Tim Niemueller tim at niemueller.de
Mon Oct 6 09:39:52 UTC 2008

Yanko Kaneti schrieb:
> On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:19 +0300, Juha Tuomala wrote:
>>> There is only trash that I find too generic...
>> speaking of too generic... how about:
>>
>> % rpm -qf `which testparm`
>> samba-common-3.2.3-0.20.fc9.x86_64
>
> $ repoquery -f /usr/bin/player
> player-0:2.1.1-5.fc10.i386
>
> careless on so many levels...

That has been discussed during the review and the reasoning was that the
project chose that name and renaming it would only cause unexpected
hassles for people who install this software. Upstream chose that name,
so if we want that package we should stick to it, if only to allow users
to reproduce commands given in documentation, wikis, blogs etc.
Additionally your very repoquery shows that there are in fact no
conflicts, so why bother?

I also don't see a problem why binary in the package for which this
thread was initiated should be renamed. There is no trash command, it
provides functionality which clearly fits the name, so why the heck
should it be renamed? Just because someone might as well add such a
command later? It's like not using your roller skates to keep them in a
nice new condition, until you have grown out of them...

What I would suggest to the trash tool besides that is that it should
provide a single executable with a command syntax like "trash add",
"trash empty" etc. Much like git or svn do it. I'd say git switched to
the single entry point for a good reason...

My two cents for the samba files like net and profiles: they are too
generic because they suggest to provide functionality beyond the bounds
of samba, the trash command does not do this in my opinion.

	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>      www.niemueller.de