trash-cli : Looking for a reviewer

Juha Tuomala Juha.Tuomala at iki.fi
Mon Oct 6 10:45:57 UTC 2008

On Monday 06 October 2008 12:39:52 Tim Niemueller wrote:
> That has been discussed during the review and the reasoning was that the
> project chose that name and renaming it would only cause unexpected
> hassles for people who install this software.

> Upstream chose that name,

Perhaps this discussion should be taken in upstream like
other enhancements.

> so if we want that package we should stick to it, if only to allow users
> to reproduce commands given in documentation, wikis, blogs etc.

That's true and gives another good reason for upstream.

> Additionally your very repoquery shows that there are in fact no
> conflicts, so why bother?

Because it confuses new users, logical naming would make it
easier to learn new tools.

> My two cents for the samba files like net and profiles: they are too
> generic because they suggest to provide functionality beyond the bounds
> of samba,

Postgresql has this problem too:

/usr/bin/createdb
/usr/bin/createlang
/usr/bin/createuser
/usr/bin/dropdb
/usr/bin/droplang
/usr/bin/dropuser
/usr/bin/pg_dump
/usr/bin/pg_dumpall
/usr/bin/pg_restore
/usr/bin/psql
/usr/bin/reindexdb
/usr/bin/vacuumdb

I think all those should have pg_ prefix. Samba could
have smb_, whatever.

/usr/bin/msql2mysql
/usr/bin/my_print_defaults
/usr/bin/mysql
/usr/bin/mysql_config
/usr/bin/mysql_find_rows
/usr/bin/mysql_tableinfo
/usr/bin/mysql_waitpid
/usr/bin/mysqlaccess
/usr/bin/mysqladmin
/usr/bin/mysqlbinlog
/usr/bin/mysqlcheck
/usr/bin/mysqldump
/usr/bin/mysqlimport
/usr/bin/mysqlshow

I've many times writen my<tab> to see what's available. With
pgsql you need to do rpm -ql postgresql|less. So it's also
an usability issue.

Another naming mess is the /etc/init.d/ names.
Some end to 'd', some doesn't.

Tuju

--
Varo hattupäisiä autoilijoita.