No dynamic groups in PackageKit : Solved

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:09:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 09:16 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> I think this discussion is getting a little heated and it is not the
> most constructive, if you want something to change IMHO.

Tim is spot on, and a good example of someone that does things properly
rather than just ranting about how broken $something is. I really can't
believe how rude some people are on this list.

We spent a few hours over the last week or so on the upstream PackageKit
mailing list, designing a new method and signal to allow us to return
custom groups in a cross distro way.

Tim wrote the initial patch, which I then rewrote a little, and then the
very next day Tim committed a simple yum implementation of the new
method call. All in all it was a few hundred lines added.

> I agree in there is some issues with the static groups currently in
> pk.so i have made this proposal on the upstream packagekit list.
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/packagekit/2008-September/003675.html

And the end result is something like this:
http://rhughes.fedorapeople.org/gpk-groups-comps.png

It needs some UI review and testing, but it shows how quickly we could
add a feature. The "simple" menu will be show by default, but it'll be
simple to turn on the "advanced" group selector.

Richard.