Disappointed: My feature was removed without notifying me

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 21:08:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:56:12PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>Am Mittwoch, den 08.10.2008, 16:47 -0400 schrieb Josh Boyer:
>> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 08:09:12PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>
>> >So the decision was made under the assumption that _none_ of the LXDE
>> >packages has ever passed a review. How can somebody who has read the
>> >feature page claim that? Why did nobody answer him back?
>>
>> The decision was made under the _fact_ that the Feature lacked packages
>> that had not passed review.  If they aren't all there, it can't be tested
>> by Beta.  It's really that simple.
>
>As I wrote in a previous mail: I don't challenge that, but for me it not
>"really that simple" but "really that disappointing". I've put a lot of
>work into the feature and when I see that people hardly seem to read the
>feature page or don't care about informing the feature owner is just
>disappointing.

I'm in FESCo.  I read the Feature page.  It was/is quite detailed.  It
still, unfortunately, doesn't meet the criteria of being a Feature.

Now, that doesn't mean your work is wasted.  It doesn't mean that,
assuming you get the missing packages into Fedora in time, LXDE won't
be installable.  It _will_ be.  All you are missing is the publicity
aspect of a Feature at that point.

Is that disappointing?  Yeah, perhaps.  But if you care enough (and
you seem to), then self-promoting LXDE is always a valid option.

josh