[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 08:41:38 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>>> No gotcha here.  I don't expect users to handle the issues.  Either the
>>> users in question want the opportunity to run the latest software in an
>>> integrated distro and so choose to run Fedora or they want to have a
>>> stable platform on which to deploy their own work and therefore they use
>>> CentOS/RHEL/Debian Stable.
>> No, it's not an either/or scenario.
>
> You're confusing what you want with what is.

No, I was responding to your misconception of what users want as stated
above.  What you said is not what I want.

> What is *is* an either/or
> scenario as there is no definite path from starting with Fedora to
> getting to a long term OS.

Agreed, hence this thread of complaints.

>  What could be is a long term release for
> certain releases if you and other like minded people do the work to
> offer security updates and major bugfixes beyond the current EOL.

That doesn't make a lot of sense.  Why would you want to commit to long
term support of some otherwise orphaned variant when all that is needed
is a smooth, planned transition to a version designed for stability with
existing long term support?

>>> There's a right tool for any job and a wrong tool.  Using your crescent
>>> wrench to hammer nails is possible but not very satisfying.
>> What's the 'right' tool to develop for the next version of Centos?
>>
> Why, the initial release of the Fedora version that the next version of
> CentOS is going to be based on, of course! :-)

Maybe - if the users that reported the bugs that permitted the
improvements in stability through the fedora cycles weren't abandoned
and left on their own to figure out the departure point and what the
differences will be.

> And if you want to ask which version of Fedora that is, I'd like to ask
> you how you knew there was going to be a RHL 6.2 but not a RHL 6.3; a
> RHL 7.3, but not a RHL 8.1....

The version numbers aren't particularly relevant there (and by 8.x the
process was so badly broken that no one would have wanted an 8.1).  The
point is that from the early versions through 7.3 a user could start
from the original release, report bugs while doing his own local
development and testing, and end up with both the system and local work
stabilizing and being usable in production together.  With fedora you
get the bugs and can report them, but you never end up with a usable
platform in the end.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com