young Fedora torrents spread data too slowly

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Oct 11 17:37:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:20:49PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 09:07:35AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > However testing a live image, which isn't created nightly with rawhide,
> > does have a lot of value.
>
> Good point.  I'm torrenting now :-)

If only 45 people are interested in downloading the torrent, why have
a torrent at all?  This is much slower than a FTP or HTTP download
would be.  For snapshots whose useful lifespan is maybe only a week
and whose demand may be rather low, it might make more sense to
provide un-mirrored direct HTTP downloads.  Or distribute the .iso's
to a few willing mirrors who the seed the content via bittorrent.  I'm
volunteering to do this.  I'll certainly leave my client seeding once
it gets the whole file, but by then the weekend may be over and I
won't have time for testing anymore :-(

file:     F10-Snap1-i686-Live
seeds:    1 seen now, plus 0 distributed copies(1:60.1%, 2:60.1%, 3:60.1%)
peers:    45 seen now

file:     F10-Snap1-x86_64-Live
seeds:    1 seen now, plus 0 distributed copies(1:76.1%, 2:75.9%, 3:75.9%)
peers:    43 seen now