[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 20:40:01 UTC 2008

2008/10/11 Ralph Angenendt <ralph+fedora at strg-alt-entf.org>:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> 2008/10/11 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
>>> CentOS should be putting out betas that match the RHEL betas so that you
>>> can get access to it before the release.  Use Fedora as the technology
>>> driver, use Betas as the bugfix cleanup for platform issues, and
>>> eventually you get the "Enterprise" release.
>>
>> I think the major problem with CentOS putting out beta's in a timely
>> basis is that a large amount of time is getting the build resources
>> together AND then deciphering various build variables that RHEL uses
>> so that the CentOS binaries 'match' close enough to be bug for bug
>> compatible. The time to do that basically had a CentOS-5beta out at
>> the time that RHEL-5 is finalized.
>
> Not having publicly available SRPMs for the beta versions (meaning
> available via public ftp) might be another reason.

I thought the SRPMS were available, as Scientific Linux uses the
public ones to build their Betas.

I thought it was more a level of priority. CentOS is a volunteer
project with a lot of costs shouldered by the developers. There is
usually a shortage of diskspace, slow net links to various build
machines spread around the world, the fact that various devs have full
time jobs (there is no full-time build manager like Fedora and SciLin
have), and various other items. Any of which puts making betas a lower
priority than dealing with current issues.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux