[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 18:07:27 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Les Mikesell [12/10/2008 17:28] :
>> Why is it not possible for one of fedora's goals to be to provide a
>> clean transition to RHEL or Centos at the end of certain development
>> cycles,
>
> -1.
>
> Fedora already has a mission, one that I agree 100%. Anything that
> distracts us from that mission is a negative.

Yes but what is the point of developing for it?  That is, why design
anything or build support infrastructure for a planned dead-end? In
particular, why should anyone even try building/running server software
on fedora when it is clearly not a suitable environment.

> Get the RHEL people to cover migrations from other distributions to RHEL
> and the CentOS prople to cover migrations to CentOS. The Fedora people
> should only be concerned with migrations to Fedora, not from it.

First you have to give someone a reason to want to migrate to Fedora.
With a planned progression to an enterprise version, that would not
really be a migration away from fedora but the expected end point where
you are permitted to continue using anything you've contributed or
developed for your own use, staying in the same community instead of
having all previous work dumped out the window at the end of a cycle.
I'll point out again that this is the way Red Hat developed its
popularity, although it was probably a mistake to have tried to support
every release forever.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com