reviving Fedora Legacy

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Sun Oct 12 22:01:53 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 09:12:05PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Patrice Dumas <pertusus <at> free.fr> writes:
>>
>>> In my response to that mail, failing to have a metric I retired my
>>> proposal, and nobody supported my views (and overall nobody supported my
>>> views).
>>>
>> In terms of those metrics, I'm still in favor of a mostly anarchical approach:
>>

> I completly agree. This is simple and leave everything to the packagers
> initiative, I think that it is also what Ralf had in mind. But some people
> insisted on communicating to the public what was maintained, hence my
> proposal. But what you propose is better.
>
> --
> Pat

Up to here you definitely had my sympathy. But this anarchical approach
makes me wonder who your target audience is. I would think that the
majority of people who wouldn't want to upgrade to an official Fedora
release would be people who need stability. Fedora itself  is probably a
little bit too unstable for them. These people would probably want more
than the average level of QA. To borrow a phrasing from Jef, legacy
updates should be edible by babies.