[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 12:36:26 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

>>> There's a notion called freedom that you may have heard of.
>> And how is that specific to Fedora?  I meant as opposed to a system
>> where you can actually deploy something that needs stability.
>
> There are few distributions that I consider as free as Fedora and
> none that I would consider more free.

OK, but how much of that freedom originates in Fedora?  I don't see how
omitting more things from a distribution helps anyone.  But that's a
different issue.

>> Local development for things you want to put into production progresses
>> at about the same rate as the system itself.  If you wait for an
>> enterprise version's release before starting, you'll be about a year and
>> a half behind.  If you develop on the previous enterprise version, there
>> will be a huge version jump in libraries, database versions, jvms, etc.
>> that will require changes and not take advantage of new capabilities.
>
> This sounds like you have an issue with the entreprise distributions and
> you're trying to shoehorn Fedora into being a stopgap solution for it.
> Why don't you work with the entreprise distributions' communities to
> find a better solution ?

The issue is that the enterprise distributions don't put their own brand
name on the early development work and ship it so users have a smooth
transition through development, testing and the final release.  But the
reason that doesn't happen is that Fedora fills that role except for
providing a smooth transition to something production-ready.  I don't
think it is me 'shoehorning' Fedora into the role that RH X.0 releases
used to fill.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com