[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 14 14:56:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:46:40AM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:

> Show me the developers who are _commited_ on making it happen, then we can
> talk. The infrastructure is in place.

I am, and a few others. But the infrastructure is still not in place. I
mean it may be physically, but there hasn't been an agreement from
fedora leadership. But I'll propose something for th enext FESCo, we'll
see how it turns out.

> Fedora Legacy foundered because everybody said they wanted it, almost
> nobody was willing to do the (hard!) work, and in the end the "many users"
> didn't materialize either.

The work in the scope of this project will be less hard than what was
done in the scope of legacy, since there will be less QA, in fact the
same amount than in fedora.

I wanted to help fedora legacy, and I wasn't deterred by the packaging
work, but by the amount of QA compared with fedora extras, the processes
were much more complicated for me. I think that the quality was higher,
too. I don't think that we need that quality right now. Legacy continued
the Red Hat releases that were quite stable. Here the aim is to continue
fedora release that are very unstable. The aim is to try to be as stable
as possible, but with the same processes than in fedora.

--
Pat