[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 16:28:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> > This is what RedHat propaganda is telling you.
>>
>> I've done several papers in Law School specifically on software
>> licensing and analysis of GPL and related licenses. Rahul's statement
>> is correct -- no licenses require availability of binaries.
>>
>> Might be awkward or less than helpful, but it's comfortably within the
>> rules of the license.
> I am not doubting this: It's a different definition of free. It's one
> case of the usual word-games with "freedom"-related words.
>
> To me, a product you can not get without having to pay for, doesn't
> qualify as free - It's may be free in the sense of "intellectual
> property", but this doesn't make it free in the "common man's sense".

I think common man's sense is not a logical item to deal with. The
common man does not speak English but most likely a SouthEast Asian
language, and they would probably use a word that means one of the 20
definitions of Free. The problem with the word Free as the was pointed
out since its inception and the FSF acknowledged after a while was
that it is an overloaded construct and has too many definitions. They
should have gone  with Libre or something as the French and other
languages have words that mean exactly what they were wanting.. but
English does not.

> Ask your neighbor, if he would pay USD600 for a barrel of "free beer".

Actually I know people who do. They spend over 600 for the ingredients
and brew their own in large vats.  But my neighbors would not fall
under the common man.

> Ralf
>

> --

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux