reviving Fedora Legacy

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 17:25:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>
>> Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:
>
>>> I'd love to see this. It could e.g. keep a service in the process of
>>> being decommissioned alive a little longer without having to do the
>>> usual upgrade.
>>
>> Currently you have *6 months* to move over to the next Fedora...
>
> s/6/13/ ?

I think the problem is that people have a hard time seeing what each
other is talking about. I think this is what the upgrade policy is.

           Release                 EOL
Fedora 8   2007-11-10      2008-12-25?
Fedora 9   2008-05-13      2008-05-XX
Fedora 10  2008-11-25?     2008-11-XX
Fedora 11  2008-05-XX      2009-05-XX

If Fedora were to make its schedules of 6 months.. and I am at Fedora
8, I have 7 months to move from Fedora 8 -> 9 since 8 isn't available
til 6 months out of my 13 month support. Now the lifetime of Fedora 8
would be 13 months.. but my window to upgrade before I lose security
is 7 months.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux